BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 7, 2009

My sons' hero

Another "Biggest Loser" inspired post. The contestant that went home has 4 kids, and what struck me was how much the oldest two girls internalized their mom's experience, so much so that mom's victory was their own victory. I also noted that, amazingly, win, lose or draw, she is going to be their hero anyway - no matter what. I was touched by the daughters' sweet expressions of love, pride, and joy for their mom and could sense that this whole thing was as important for them as it was for her, perhaps even more so. This experience in seeing their mother tackle a huge obstacle, keep pushing, and persevere will leave an indelible mark upon their young hearts and minds, the right kind of mark.

While watching this tonight, it struck me just how much I want my boys to be proud of me. I remember as a child living my life, in a way, through the lives of my parents. I looked up to them and shared in their joys, sorrows, victories, and defeats. I began to see myself the way that they saw themselves, and my foundational opinions of my own worth were established in those early years. My parents' lives and experiences became my own and I learned much about how to go through life from them, for better or worse. Now it's my turn, and my two boys are probably having a similar experience through me. So the big question at the end of the day is whether I am the kind of hero that I would want my sons to have? I'm not talking capes, super powers, leaping tall buildings, blazing speed, or massive pecs. I'm talking about being a person that I would want my boys to emulate and, when all is said and done, that they can feel good about themselves and their lives because of the example they have followed. It's scary to think about the life patterns I am laying out for them, so I am eternally grateful to a loving Father in Heaven and a merciful Savior - it's not all up to me. But from experience I can vouch for the incalculable influence of a father or mother on a young, impressionable mind. May my own example be equal to the needs of my boys and point them in the right direction...toward the Savior. May I be a worthy hero, indeed.

0 comments: