BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tip my cap

Well, the New York Yankees did it again, winning their 27th World Series title. Ya know, some people say they're tired of the Yankees. Not that I blame them. I mean, they have won basically one out of every four World Series since 1900 (though this was their first one since 2000), and they are the "Evil Empire" with seemingly endless resources to buy up the best talent on the market. But for me, when I watch the footage of all the players' reactions to the last out - all those little boys in grown mens' bodies - I can feel no ill will toward them whatsoever. In fact, I am inspired. Perhaps it's because I have so often felt myself to be an underachiever, but I love watching someone win who is expected to win. Sure, I love an underdog story as much as the next guy, but I find great comfort and satisfaction in seeing a person or a team meet their expectations head on, and win. The Yankees had the talent, the teamwork, and the best record in baseball in 2009. And even though they had much going for them, it still took an incredible effort, lots and lots of hard work and determination, and a love for the game to carry them through to the ultimate victory. Really, I love watching people/teams/whatever do well. So congrats to the World Series Champs. They earned it.

Another case from the Yankees this year inspred me as well. Alex Rodriguez, the highest paid player in baseball, has had a very good career. He has also been much maligned because of the lofty perch on which he sits. I have never believed a player to be as good or as bad as people say, so I just watch them and see what they do. And this year A-Rod impressed me. For 11 straight years he had hit at least 30 home runs and had at least 100 RBI's, which I believe is a record or close to it. At the end of this season that streak was in jeopardy, in part because he had missed the first month of the season with an injury. So there he was, last game of the season, sitting on 28 homers and 93 RBI's. Streak over? I don't think so. In that last game of the season against the Tampa Bay Rays, Alex Rodriguez goes 3-for-4 with a three-run homer and a grand slam - exactly the 2 homes and 7 RBI's he needed. That stinkin' inspires me. It blows me away and fills me with admiration. Here's someone who has to suceed, but who everyone is hoping will fall short. That weight and burden, well, it feels like it would crush me. But him? He did it. And so did his Yankees this year. I tip my cap to them all, with a silent thank you for giving me more proof and permission that it's ok to succeed.

0 comments: